Two classic comfort foods come together to make the best turkey burger you will ever taste.
French Onion Turkey Burgers
recipe source: A Vintage Kitchen
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 oz. Cognac
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- about 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 burger buns
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the onions until softened and deep brown in color, this will take about 45 – 60 minutes. I cover with a lid for the first half of the cooking. Don’t go too far away, this will need to be stirred every few minutes, especially toward the end of the cooking process. Deglaze the pan with the Cognac, cook until liquid is evaporated. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine turkey, cooled onions, Dijon, Worcestershire, 1/2 cup of Gruyère, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake until cooked through and the temperature is 165 F in center, about 20 minutes, flip once during cooking. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Gruyère over the split buns. Heat in oven until the cheese is melted.