Quiche me, you fool! Sorry, I couldn’t resist! Okay, lame jokes aside, can we talk about quiche for a minute?
Quiche is probably one of the most versatile dishes ever. It is a great addition to a brunch menu or served with a nice salad it makes a delicious light lunch or dinner. It’s also impressive enough to serve to company, yet it could not be any easier to make.
This quiche has all of the flavors you would find in a traditional Spanokopita, (A Greek Spinach and Feta Pie). Loads of spinach, tangy feta cheese, onions, garlic, and dill.
This dish is unbelievably easy to make, but you would never know it. I have a little secret to share with you: I made this with a store-bought pie crust. I know, I know. Normally, I am all about making everything from scratch. To tell you the truth, I have never in my life ever used a store-bought crust, until a couple of months ago. Now that I have gone over to the dark side, I am never going back! Ok, I am being a little dramatic, but honestly, it just makes life so much easier. Trust me, no one will ever know. I won’t tell if you don’t.
Spinach and Feta Quiche
Recipe Source: A Vintage Kitchen
- Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- one 300 gram box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- one Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- one cup cubed or grated mozzarella cheese
- pastry for 9-inch deep dish pie pan
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and red pepper until softened, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place spinach in a colander. With clean hands squeeze out all of the liquid. Make sure spinach is very dry.
- Add spinach and garlic to the pan with the onion and red pepper. Cook for an additional minute or two, or until there is no moisture in the pan. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, fresh dill, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly butter a 9-inch deep pie pan. Place pie crust in the pie pan. Crimp the edges if desired. Place on a baking sheet for ease in transporting the uncooked quiche to the oven.
- Sprinkle feta and mozzarella over prepared pie crust. Evenly spread vegetable mixture over cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetable mixture.
- Bake quiche until cooked through and crust is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Yields: 6 servings
Other recipes you may like: Greek Quinoa Salad